Thursday, February 5, 2009

Goodbye Alabama

Hello friends and family,


I am in South Carolina now, cooking in my room. I don't mean that I'm cooking food, I mean that I'm being cooked! It has been so cold outside recently that I guess someone got carried away with the heat on our car.

Previous to this site, we were in Birmingham Alabama. I have to say that I don't think I liked Birmingham all that much, though of course I had quite a limited view of it. There wasn't much around the building besides a Subway (we are all very, very tired of Subway), but a few blocks away there was an incredibly redeeming little bookstore. It was called Reed's Books, and I highly recommend it to anyone passing through. The owner was very nice and knew his stock of antiques very well. I got a pile of comics, a circus book or two (he had a circus section), and a mini English-Russian dictionary. Also, out of nostalgia, I bought a sweet children's book called The Circus Baby, which I remember from some point in my childhood, I just can't say when. It is about an elephant mother trying to teach her baby elephant how to live like humans do, and eat at a table with a knife and fork.

The best thing about Alabama was that I had a wonderful group of visitors! On the 30th I was joined by the Quillian-Stubbs family (minus George), and M. Luckily it was a split show day, which means we have one show at about 10 in the morning, and the next at 7:30 PM, and a good 5 hours in between of free time! They all arrived in the afternoon, so we had lots of time to get a lovely quesadilla lunch, and to have a leisurely visit. Then we navigated back to the train so I could show off my living space. What fun! Everyone had to take turns filing through the hall to have a look, but somehow we all squished in. My room was cleaner than usual, too! After that we had to go back to the arena so I could get in makeup for the next show, but I was glad to have so much time with them. Alabama's preshows were completely packed every day we were there, so I hardly saw M and the QSs until after the show. Then they got to see us clean the soap mat (yippee!), and had a visit to clown alley, complete with Randy chucking a powder sock into the side of my head. I must say, appreciatively, that however exhausted and cranky my co-workers are at the end of the day, they never seem to be too tired to goof around for our guests' amusement.

Well, it is far past my bed time, as I have to get up at 6:00 again tomorrow. An early show means an early preshow, and an early preshow means early makeup and hair, which in turn means catching an early bus, which means waking up early. Yawn!

Mainly what I wanted to say was how happy I was to have a visit from my wonderful family. It was great to see you guys, and I loved showing you around. Now everybody else, come on down here and visit me too!

I have more to write, so hopefully I will get a chance to do so very soon!


Love to you all~

2 comments:

  1. I loved that book. I still have it in a bin of old books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture of you and M.
    xo, mom

    ReplyDelete